Language of Choice

Friday, July 14, 2017

How To Organize Your Novel's Outline

Trying to organize your plot points, world building, and character development can be pretty tough when writing your first novel. So today I want to share with you all the way I have finally found that works for me. It's kind of an old school method to be honest, but I find that if I use my computer or any other device as my novel planning platform, then my novel isn't "in my face" as much as I need it to be to continue coming up with ideas and stay committed to my story long enough to write it.
Well, here is my secret weapon below

That's right, its a pin board. You would be surprised how much a simple pin board and some sticky notes have helped me so far. On my left hand side of the board I have my gods and goddesses; what they represent, what they look like, what their story is, etc. In the middle of the board I have my first 4 books of the series and their major plot points. Finally on the right hand side is my world building and character development section.

Now obviously as you start adding more ideas to your pin board, it will start to look more like the picture above. Once you fill up the board, I would advise typing all of the ideas that you are completed with out, and keeping the ones you are still adding to or developing on the board.  
This method may not be for everyone, but for someone like me it has truly helped.
 Keep the board in  the room you spend the most time in at home so you can easily add ideas as they come to you (or in some instances pull ideas from the board because you thought of better ones). There may even come a time when you just pull the board off the wall and end up bringing it from room to room with you while you clean, get ready, watch tv, etc.  
I hope this helps some of you to be able to break out of any writers block or even to just think outside of the box more with the way you plan out your novel, short story, or hey maybe even a movie script, (or whatever it is your trying to accomplish).

If you would like to look at more writing tips, check out the links below:

Photo Credits
Image 1- Deposit Photos link below
Image 2- Seasoned & Agile (blog link below)

No comments:

Post a Comment