Language of Choice

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Christmas Countdown Traditions

Hey everyone! I know, it's been months since I have posted anything, but my family and I have been making many transitions lately. We made a move across state, I went back to work after two years of being a stay-at-home mom to my baby girl, and that same baby girl has started Kindergarten. (Where has the time gone?) I swear it was just yesterday that she was learning to walk, and now she is learning to read and write!

Well, I wanted to get back into the blogging spirit by sharing a Christmas Countdown tradition that my Stepmother used to do with my sisters and I, (which I now also do for my daughter). 
Every year we would awake on December 1st to see a chain of green and red paper rings hanging from the wall. Each child gets their own, but they will all say the same thing.



Every day has it's own activity to get the family in the Christmas spirit, and it's also a great way to get even the teenagers partaking in family time.
There are certain days that were always the same every year. 
December 1st- The ring always said Look in oven. Inside the oven we would each have a chocolate countdown calendar.
December 24th- This ring would say open one present early. This present would always be a set of warm Christmas pajamas (believe it or not, I still have a couple of the pajama sets because they were so comfortable).
Other rings would consist of, but were not limited to: set up the christmas tree (christmas carols and christmas cookies were always a must during this activity), decorate the house with christmas decorations, pull out the christmas books, pull out the christmas movies, go ice skating (if you have a rink near you), go drive around to look at christmas lights, make christmas cards, read the first Christmas story, and go see Santa.

For those of you who have some children who aren't with you every day during the countdown, you only put enough rings for the number of days they are with you and plan the activities according to what works best for you and your family. It really is a fun tradition. My daughter loves it just as much as I did. It does take a bit of planning, but it is truly worth it. 

Photo Credits

No comments:

Post a Comment