Language of Choice

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Message in a Bottle

   Many people have used writing messages in a bottle for numerous reasons throughout time. If you haven't done it before, I seriously recommend trying it out at some point in life. When I did this, I ended up writing three different letters, and sending them in three separate bottles. I released those letters in the hopes that it would help me to let go of anger I was holding onto towards multiple people. I wont lie and say that this therapeutic technique worked for every person who I wrote a letter to. What I will say is this; watching the bottles float away with my anger, not knowing who would one day read them, was an amazing feeling. Someone out there in this world would one day open my bottles and know that no matter what was written there, I had tried to let it go and move on with my life. For two of those people, that was the absolute truth after that day. For the other person, it took me a good chunk of time later to realize that the anger I had towards them was pointless and a waste of my time. Either way, it still helped me to begin the process of "letting go", which is the whole point of writing a message in a bottle.
   If I were to write another letter at this day and time, it wouldn't be focused on my anger towards another, but rather, on words I never got a chance to say. It would be addressed to everyone I have lost over the past couple of years and all the things I didn't get to say because the chance was stolen from me, or because while sitting beside their deathbeds, I was in shock and just couldn't figure out the right things to say in that moment. So I would fill up pages and pages of goodbyes and memories and let them sail into oblivion. I wouldn't care if anyone ever found this one. I would just be content with God knowing what they contained, and hope that he passed along the message.
   For anyone holding on to anything that they feel has been weighing them down for too long, I strongly encourage trying this. There is nothing to lose from attempting to let go of anything painful, but there is plenty to gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment